• Famous poems
  • Short poems
  • Poems on animals
  • Poems on nature

Rhymes and poems are one of the commencement things that children learn. The rhythmic poems are short simply contain a deep meaning, and hence help the child learn the language as well as sympathise the earth.
Poems and rhymes are a great way to help your child learn the language. If you are looking for English poems for kids, we have got you lot covered. Children love learning rhyming poems. A good verse form with meanings helps your kid make sense of the world effectually them. Y'all tin besides teach your child poems to keep them engaged and develop an interest in learning. In this mail service, we take come up with some best English poems that your kid would honey to recite.

41 Short English Poems For Children

Famous Poems For Kids

These are pop poems written past poets widely known.

i. The Moon by Robert Louis Stevenson

The moon has a face like the clock in the hall,
She shines on thieves on the garden wall,
On streets and fields and harbour quays,
And birdies asleep in the forks of the trees.

The squalling cat and the squeaking mouse,
The howling domestic dog by the door of the house,
The bat that lies in bed at noon,
All beloved to be out by the light of the moon.

Just all of the things that vest to the twenty-four hours
Cuddle to sleep to exist out of her way;
And flowers and children close their eyes
Till upward in the forenoon the lord's day shall arise.

2. Friends by Abbie Farwell Brownish

How good to lie a little while
And look up through the tree!
The Sky is like a kind big smile
Bent sweetly over me.

The Sunshine flickers through the lace
Of leaves above my head;
And kisses me upon the face
Like Mother, before bed.

The Wind comes stealing o'er the grass
To whisper pretty things;
And though I cannot see him pass,
I experience his careful wings.

And so many gentle Friends are nearly
Whom one can scarcely see,
A child should never experience a fright,
Wherever he may exist.

[ Read: Water Pollution Facts For Kids ]

3. Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in paw;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in idea.

And, equally in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey forest,
And burbled as information technology came!

One, ii! 1, ii! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left information technology expressionless, and with its caput
He went galumphing back.

"And hast one thousand slain the Jabberwock?
Come up to my artillery, my beamish boy!
frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did curl and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

4. If I Were Rex by A. A. Milne

If I Were King English poem for kids

Prototype: iStock

I often wish I were a Male monarch,
And then I could do anything.

If merely I were Rex of Spain,
I'd take my chapeau off in the rain.

If simply I were King of France,
I wouldn't brush my hair for aunts.

I call up, if I were King of Hellenic republic,
I'd push things off the mantelpiece.

If I were King of Norway,
I'd ask an elephant to stay.

If I were King of Babylon,
I'd leave my push gloves undone.

If I were King of Timbuctoo,
I'd call back of lovely things to do.

If I were King of anything,
I'd tell the soldiers, "I'thousand the Male monarch!"

5. Maggie And Milly And Molly And May by E.Due east. Cummings

maggie and milly and molly and may
went downward to the embankment (to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and

milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays 5 languid fingers were;

and molly was chased past a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles: and

may came domicile with a smooth circular stone
every bit small as a world and equally large as lonely.

For whatsoever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea

half dozen. The Hawkeye past Alfred Lord Tennyson

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;
Close to the dominicus in lonely lands,
Ringed with the azure globe, he stands.

The wrinkled sea below him crawls;
He watches from his mount walls,
And similar a thunderbolt he falls.

7. From A Railway Wagon by Robert Louis Stevenson

Faster than fairies, faster than witches,
Bridges and houses, hedges and ditches;
And charging along like troops in a battle
All through the meadows the horses and cattle:
All of the sights of the colina and the plain
Fly equally thick every bit driving rain;
And always again, in the wink of an eye,
Painted stations whistle by.
Here is a child who clambers and scrambles,
All by himself and gathering brambles;
Here is a tramp who stands and gazes;
And here is the green for stringing the daisies!
Here is a cart runaway in the route
Lumping forth with man and load;
And here is a mill, and there is a river:
Each a glimpse and gone forever!

8. Caterpillar by Christina Rossetti

Caterpillar English poem for kids

Image: Shutterstock

Brown and furry
Caterpillar in a hurry,
Take your walk
To the shady foliage, or stalk,
Or what not,
Which may be the called spot.
No toad spy y'all,
Hovering bird of prey laissez passer by you;
Spin and die,
To live again a butterfly.

9. The Tyger by William Blake

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the dark;
What immortal mitt or center,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings cartel he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what fine art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to vanquish,
What dread mitt? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp,
Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he grin his piece of work to run across?
Did he who made the Lamb brand thee?

Tyger Tyger burning brilliant,
In the forests of the dark:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

[ Read: One Minute Games For Kids ]

10. Dream Variations by Langston Hughes

To fling my arms broad
In some identify of the dominicus,
To whirl and to dance
Till the white day is washed.
Then rest at cool evening
Beneath a tall tree
While night comes on gently,
Nighttime like me–
That is my dream!

To fling my arms wide
In the face of the sun,
Trip the light fantastic! Whirl! Whirl!
Till the quick 24-hour interval is washed.
Rest at pale evening . . .
A tall, slim tree . . .
Night coming tenderly
Blackness like me.

An Inquisitive-kid Poem

11. What's a Mystery?

Why do key holes accept no keys
Why do fairies take no tales
Tin I dial the numbers please
Which is best, boys or girls
What's a mystery?

If I had another Mum
Would I be some other child
If I had another Dad
Where would my old daddy be
What's a mystery?

Where practise grown-ups put the child
That they say that they used to exist
Where did my Mummy detect my Dad
In the old days was I actually
But a little seed
When you die does it make you lot sad
What's a mystery?

How many miles is far away
Why does daddy stop at lights
Doesn't daddy know the way
What is left and is it correct
What's a mystery?

When nosotros go to holidays
Will I exist comatose
Is Blackpool in London or Japan
Is that baby lamb out in that location
The same as we had for tea
Why is everybody getting mad
What'southward a mystery?

Why do grannies dress in lace
Why must children become to bed
Am I in the human race
Is my listen in my head
What'southward a mystery?

Must you still do as you lot are told
Even if yous cry
Why is everybody getting mad
If you pray to Heaven
can you lot do just what you like
Does He love you even if you lot're bad
What'south a mystery?

— Graham Cunningham

Curt Poems For Kids

These can be used as pre and master school poems for kids because they are short and easy to understand.

12. My Kite

My Kite English poem for kids

Image: iStock

My kite flies high,
I wonder how and why.
With a long tail and wings,
Come across how my kite swings!
Property its thread in my hand,
I feel so happy and grand.

xiii. The Labrador Puppies

I encounter them now,
They neither moo nor meow.
Hands are pocket-sized, oh that's the paw!
Volition you await at that tiny little hook.

At present I plod to friction match the pace,
But they pounce to lick my face,
Oh and so adorable, cute, and fluffy,
My dearest buddies, the Labrador puppies!

14. Kid Of The Days

Monday's kid is fair of face,
Tuesday's kid is total of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to get.
Fri's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
Sunday's child is fun and entertaining.
All the days accept a child that'southward amusing.

15. At present We Are Vi by A.A. Milne

When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was most new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more than.
When I was Five,
I was just alive.
But now I am Six,
I'm every bit clever as clever,
And so I think I'll exist six now for ever and ever.

16. The Rainbow past Christina Rossetti

The Rainbow English poem for kids

Prototype: iStock

Boats canvas on the rivers,
And ships sail on the seas;
Just clouds that canvas beyond the heaven
Are prettier than these.
There are bridges on the rivers,
As pretty as you delight;
Only the bow that bridges heaven,
And overtops the copse,
And builds a route from earth to sky.

17. Rabbit by Mary Ann Hoberman

A rabbit
Bit
A fiddling fleck
An itty-bitty
Little bit of beet
Then bit
Past bit
He bit
Because he liked the sense of taste of information technology

18. Well-nigh the Teeth of Sharks by John Ciardi

The thing about a shark is—teeth,
One row higher up, i row below.

Now accept a close await. Do you find
It has another row backside?

Still closer—hither, I'll hold your chapeau:
Has information technology a tertiary row behind that?

Now look in and…Look out! Oh my,
I'll never know now! Well, bye.

19. Kickoff Course past William Stafford

In the play Amy didn't want to be
anybody; so she managed the curtain.
Sharon wanted to be Amy. Merely Sam
wouldn't let anybody exist everyone else
he said it was wrong. "All correct," Steve said,
"I'll exist me but I don't like it."
So Amy was Amy, and we didn't have the play.
And Sharon cried.

20. At the Zoo by William Makepeace Thackeray

At the Zoo English poem for kids

Epitome: Shutterstock

Beginning I saw the white conduct, then I saw the black;
And so I saw the camel with a hump upon his back;
Then I saw the grey wolf, with mutton in his maw;
Then I saw the wombat waddle in the harbinger;
Then I saw the elephant a-waving of his trunk;
And then I saw the monkeys—mercy, how unpleasantly they smelt!

[ Read: Facts Well-nigh The Moon For Kids ]

21. Snowball past Shel Silverstein

I made myself a snowball
As perfect as could exist.
I thought I'd keep it as a pet
And allow it slumber with me.
I made it some pajamas
And a pillow for its caput.
Then final night it ran away,
But first it wet the bed.

Beast Poems For Kids

These are funny poems for kids, with a affect of creature cuteness.

22. Yip-Yip-Woof! by Kristin Frederick

Tiny Chihuahua,
Humongous Great Dane.
The difference between them
Is really quite plain.
Feisty Chihuahua
Will yap-yap and yip.
If he doesn't like you,
You may get a nip!
Gentle Slap-up Dane
Has a powerful bite,
Simply never would nip you.
She's much too polite.
Great Dane finds the carpet
A fine identify to nap.
Chihuahua loves curling
Right up in your lap.
Their owners would have
Some crusade for dismay
If each dog behaved
In the opposite way!

23. Three Little Piggies by Paige

I have three piggies who alive in the shed
They slumber in their food basin and eat in their bed
They drinkable lots of h2o which makes them go wee
This usually happens while they are sitting on my knee!!!

24. My Best Friend by Abby Jenkins

My Best Friend English poem for kids

Image: Shutterstock

Black and white
Thick and furry
Fast as the wind
Always in a hurry
Couple of spots
Rub my ears
Always comes when his proper name he hears
Loves his ball; it's his favorite affair
What'southward most fun for him? Everything!
Smashing big tongue that licks my face
Has a crate, his very own space
Big brown eyes like moon pies
He's my friend till the very stop!

25. My Name Is Pearl by Becky Robbins

Said the bunny to the squirrel,
Are you a boy or a girl?
The squirrel said to the bunny, I am a girl.
Nice to meet you, my name is Pearl.

Pearl said to the bunny,
What is your proper name?
I am also a girl, and our name is the same.
Do you want to be friends?
Indeed I exercise!
I would love to be friends with you.

Nosotros have the same proper name, and even so that is funny.
We accept the aforementioned proper name, and I'grand not a bunny.
Our name is Pearl, and we are both a girl.
Just just one of us is a squirrel.

26. He And I – A Wolf And A Girl by Jessica Franson

The lovely absurd breeze blows on me
As we run, he and I
Over meadow, colina, and tree
The scents of flowers die

The water runs over tried, beaten feet
With the many friends yet to meet
Running with centre beats steady
While everything effectually is a melody

Colors fade, h2o rushes by
Solid ground under our feet
Nosotros run and birds take the sky
With Wolf friends nevertheless to meet

27. String And Ribbon by Reilly Gandell

Thump. thump. thump.
Her tail gently lifts up, and then falls dorsum to earth.
She lies, curled in a ball by the window.
The dominicus shines down on her lustrous black glaze.
Her eyes are closed, letting herself to be separate from the outside world.
I reach out and stroke her gleaming fur.
Her trunk tenses, and then relaxes to my touch.
I look at her and realize how much I beloved her.
I recollect back to when she was only just a kitten.
How she would run around and play with cord and ribbon.
And how even at present, she has never completely been able to meow.
Always a cheery squeak that melts your heart.
She opens her green slits of optics and peers into my own.
Then she lays back her head and begins her journeying back to dreamland.

28. White Sheep

White Sheep English poem for kids

Epitome: Shutterstock

White sheep, white sheep,
On a bluish loma,
When the wind stops,
Yous all stand still.
When the wind blows,
You walk away slow.
White sheep, white sheep,
Where practice y'all get?

[ Read: Encephalon Games For Kids ]

Nature Poems For Kids

These poems are about natural beauty and the lovely world.

29. Pelting past Robert Louis Stevenson

The rain is raining all around,
It falls on field and tree,
It rains on the umbrellas here,
And on the ships at sea.

30. Trees by Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Confronting the sugariness earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summertime vesture
A nest of robins in her pilus;

Upon whose bosom snowfall has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But just God tin can make a tree.

31. Past the Stream by Paul Laurence Dunbar

Past the stream I dream in calm delight, and watch as in a drinking glass,
How the clouds like crowds of snowy-hued and white-robed maidens pass,
And the water into ripples breaks and sparkles equally information technology spreads,
Like a host of armored knights with silver helmets on their heads.
And I deem the stream an emblem fit of human life may go,
For I discover a listen may sparkle much and yet but shallows testify,
And a soul may glow with myriad lights and wondrous mysteries,
When it just lies a dormant affair and mirrors what it sees.

32. Putting in the Seed by Robert Frost

Putting in the Seed English poem for kids

Image: iStock

You come to fetch me from my work to-night
When supper'southward on the table, and we'll see
If I tin can go out off burying the white
Soft petals fallen from the apple tree tree.
(Soft petals, yes, but not so barren quite,
Mingled with these, smooth bean and wrinkled pea;)
And go along with you ere you lose sight
Of what you came for and become similar me,
Slave to a springtime passion for the earth.
How Honey burns through the Putting in the Seed
On through the watching for that early birth
When, just as the soil tarnishes with weed,
The sturdy seedling with arched torso comes
Shouldering its way and shedding the earth crumbs.

33. To make a prairie by Emily Dickinson

To make a prairie information technology takes a clover and i bee,
One clover, and a bee.
And revery.
The revery alone will practise,
If bees are few.

34. Patience Taught by Nature by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

"O Dreary life!" we cry, "O dreary life!"
And still the generations of the birds
Sing through our sighing, and the flocks and herds
Serenely live while we are keeping strife
With Heaven's truthful purpose in us, as a knife
Against which we may struggle. Ocean girds
Unslackened the dry land: savannah-swards
Unweary sweep: hills watch, unworn; and rife
Meek leaves drop yearly from the forest-trees,
To show, in a higher place, the unwasted stars that laissez passer
In their old glory. O thou God of quondam!
Grant me some smaller grace than comes to these;—
But and then much patience, as a blade of grass
Grows by contented through the estrus and cold.

35. Vocal by T. Due south. Eliot

When nosotros came home across the loma
No leaves were fallen from the trees;
The gentle fingers of the breeze
Had torn no quivering cobweb downwards.

The hedgerow bloomed with flowers still,
No withered petals lay below;
But the wild roses in your wreath
Were faded, and the leaves were brown.

36. Deep in the Quiet Forest by James Weldon Johnson

Deep in the Quiet Wood English poem for kids

Image: Shutterstock

Are you lot bowed downwards in heart?
Do you but hear the clashing discords and the din of life?
Then come abroad, come to the peaceful forest,
Here bathe your soul in silence. Listen! Now,
From out the palpitating solitude
Do yous not catch, yet faint, elusive strains?
They are above, around, inside you, everywhere.
Silently listen! Clear, and however more clear, they come.
They chimera up in rippling notes, and corking in singing tones.
Now let your soul run the whole gamut of the wondrous calibration
Until, responsive to the tonic chord,
It touches the diapason of God'southward grand cathedral organ,
Filling earth for you with heavenly peace
And holy harmonies.

37. On the Grasshopper and Cricket by John Keats

The poetry of globe is never dead:
When all the birds are faint with the hot sun,
And hide in cooling trees, a voice will run
From hedge to hedge about the new-mown mead;
That is the Grasshopper's—he takes the lead
In summertime luxury,—he has never done
With his delights; for when tired out with fun
He rests at ease beneath some pleasant weed.
The poetry of earth is ceasing never:
On a lone winter evening, when the frost
Has wrought a silence, from the stove in that location shrills
The Cricket'due south song, in warmth increasing ever,
And seems to one in drowsiness half lost,
The Grasshopper'due south among some grassy hills.

38. I Hear You Call, Pine Tree by Yone Noguchi

I hear you telephone call, pine tree, I hear you upon the hill, past the silent pond where the lotus flowers flower, I hear you lot call, pino tree.
What is it you call, pine tree, when the rain falls, when the winds blow, and when the stars appear, what is it you call, pine tree?
I hear you phone call, pine tree, merely I am blind, and do not know how to reach you, pine tree. Who will take me to you lot, pine tree?

39. Mountains by Riya Shrivastava

Emerges in a higher place the state, into their peak.
Information technology is the sky they constantly seek.

From the far altitude, nosotros won't find their height.
A view from the elevation is a spectacular sight.

Closely positioned to grade a range.
Human eyes won't observe the change.

Non a prisoner to the immediate time
Challenges many, unforgiving climb.

And then much more beyond their beauty.
Sheltering species, that's their duty.

Mountains are members of the nature we know,
And at the tiptop they often have a snowfall.

40. Flower by Rabindranath Tagore

Flower English poem for kids

Paradigm: Shutterstock

Pluck this little bloom and accept information technology, delay non! I fear lest it
droop and drib into the dust.

I may not find a place in thy garland, but honour it with a touch of
pain from thy hand and pluck it. I fearfulness lest the twenty-four hour period stop earlier I am
enlightened, and the fourth dimension of offering go by.

Though its colour exist non deep and its aroma be faint, employ this flower
in thy service and pluck it while there is time.

41. The Beck by Alfred Lord Tennyson

I come up from haunts of coot and hern,
I make a sudden emerge
And sparkle out amongst the fern,
To bicker downward a valley.

By thirty hills I bustle down,
Or skid between the ridges,
By xx thorpes, a little town,
And one-half a hundred bridges.

Till concluding by Philip's farm I menstruum
To join the brimming river,
For men may come and men may go,
But I keep for ever.

I chatter over stony ways,
In little sharps and trebles,
I bubble into eddying bays,
I babble on the pebbles.

With many a curve my banks I fret
By many a field and dormant,
And many a fairy foreland prepare
With willow-weed and mallow.

I chatter, chatter, every bit I flow
To bring together the brimming river,
For men may come and men may go,
Only I get on for ever.

I air current about, and in and out,
With here a blossom sailing,
And here and there a lusty trout,
And here and in that location a grayling,

And hither and there a foamy bit
Upon me, as I travel
With many a silvery waterbreak
Above the golden gravel,

And draw them all along, and flow
To join the brimming river
For men may come and men may go,
But I continue for ever.

I steal by lawns and grassy plots,
I slide by hazel covers;
I move the sweet forget-me-nots
That abound for happy lovers.

I skid, I slide, I gloom, I glance,
Amid my skimming swallows;
I make the netted sunbeam dance
Against my sandy shallows.

I murmur nether moon and stars
In brambly wildernesses;
I linger past my shingly bars;
I loiter circular my cresses;

And out again I curve and menstruation
To join the brimming river,
For men may come and men may go,
Just I go on forever.

[ Read: Scientific discipline Quiz For Kids ]

Read these poems aloud or let your child read them while you explicate the pregnant. Your kid will remember these wonderful poems forever. You may likewise use them to inspire your little one to write their poems.

Did your child any poems? You may share them in the comments section beneath.

Recommended Articles:

  • Campfire Stories For Kids
  • Thought Of The Solar day Quotes For Kids
  • Chance Stories For Kids
  • Full general Cognition Questions For Kids

The post-obit ii tabs alter content below.

Wedetso Chirhah holds a masters degree in English Literature. He had written content for more than than fifteen B2B websites and edited school books before joining MomJunction as an editor. Wedetso ensures the articles run into the highest editorial standards. He enjoys making content understandable and relatable to readers, and he is a big fan of the versatile em dash. He too... more